“How do I download eBooks?”
It’s a question we’re asked often, and for good reason! eBooks are convenient, more portable than physical copies, and with your library card, they’re totally free! (Not to mention, they’re perfect for getting in those Summer Reading hours on the go!)
If you’ve wondered how you can access our eBook collection on your devices, expand the sections below for step-by-step guides.
These instructions are for Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, and Kindle Oasis.
Click to expand step-by-step instructions.
- Using a computer or a device with the Overdrive app installed, head to our catalog.
- Sign into your library account using your library card number. Unless you’ve changed it, your password is your phone number without the area code or dashes.
- On that same page, click the Overdrive logo under Electronic Resources.
- Now you’ll need to sign into Overdrive.
- Once you click the yellow ‘Sign In’ button, you’ll be taken to a drop down menu. Scroll all the way to the bottom and select Yorktown-M. Pleasant Township Public Library.
- Type in your full bar code number. Again, your password is your phone number without area code or dashes. To skip this step in the future, check the box that says ‘Remember My Card Number on This Device’.
- Now that you’re logged in, you can search for, browse, and download eBooks!
- When you’ve found the one you want, click the yellow ‘Borrow’ button.
- Choose how long you would like to borrow the book: 7, 14, or 21 days. Click the ‘Borrow’ button again.
- Click the ‘Read now with Kindle’ button.
- You’ll be taken to Amazon. Make sure you’re logged into the Amazon account that your Kindle is registered to. Select the Kindle you would like the book to be delivered to and click ‘Get Library Book’.
You’re all done! The eBook will be downloaded to your Kindle the next time it connects to Wi-Fi! When your borrowing period is over, the book will automatically disappear. You never have to worry about late fees with Overdrive.
Tablets, Phones, & Kindle Fire
These instructions apply to Andriod, iOS, and Kindle Fire devices.
Click to expand step-by-step instructions.
- Download the Overdrive app from your device’s app store.
- Open the app and tap ‘Sign Up’.
- Tap ‘Sign up using a library card’.
- Select the ‘Location’ option and type in 47396.
- Tap ‘Go’.
- Tap ‘Indiana Digital Download Center’.
- Select Yorktown-M. Pleasant Township Public Library.
- Input your full bar code number from your library card. Your password is your phone number without the area code or dashes.
- Tap ‘Sign In’.
- To continue, tap ‘Add a title’.
- You’ll be directed to the IDDC homepage, where you’ll need to sign in one more time. To prevent having to do this in the future, check the box that says ‘Remember my card number on this device’.
- When you find the book you want, tap it and then tap ‘Borrow’. Select how long (7, 14, or 21 days) you’d like to borrow the title.
- Select your preferred format. You can download it directly to your device and start reading immediately, or you can connect through your Amazon account and read it as a Kindle Book. Tapping ‘Read now with Kindle’ will redirect you to Amazon.
- To view and open the titles you have checked out, tap ‘Bookshelf’.
That’s it! When the borrowing period is over, your book will automatically disappear. You never have to worry about late fees with Overdrive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: “What if the title I want says ‘wait list’?”
A: Because we share our eBook collection with other libraries in Indiana, the title you want may be checked out by other users. However, just like physical copies, you can place a hold. Just click the ‘Place a Hold’ button, and you’ll receive an email when the title is available for you.
Q: Does Overdrive have audio books?
A: Yes! Overdrive has audio books and a few movies/videos. Once downloaded to your device, just press play and enjoy.
Q: How do I return a book?
A: As mentioned in the instructions above, when your borrowing period is over, the title will automatically disappear from your bookshelf. If, however, you finish early and would like to return, click the three vertical dots next to the title on your bookshelf and select ‘Return to Library’.
Q: I have an original NOOK. Can I download eBooks from Overdrive?
A: Yes, you can. But that process is a bit more complicated. Check out Overdrive’s article here.
Have a question that’s not answered here? Leave a comment below or contact us.
NEW: Meet Libby! Overdrive’s user-friendly new app.